Sunday, 24 May 2026

Expectations vs Entertainment


Today, I was lucky enough to visit a nearby multiplex to watch the trending Malayalam movie Drishyam 3 starring Mohanlal. I had already watched the first and second parts and enjoyed every bit of creativity in them. Before watching the third part, I came across many reels and mixed reviews online. Some reviews said, “It’s not like Part 1 and 2,” “It’s just okay,” or “Good, but not up to the mark.” Those comments actually made me think deeply.

Whenever we watch a movie of an actor we admire, we already carry certain expectations based on their previous work. After watching the second part of a successful movie, our expectations naturally grow bigger because now we know the story, the characters, and the emotions connected to them. By the time the third part arrives, those expectations become “high expectations.”

And many times, high expectations become the reason for disappointment, because the movie may take a different direction than what we imagined.

The same thing happens in cricket too. A player performs brilliantly in one match, and in the very next match if he fails, people start criticizing him immediately. Expectations rise so much that we forget they are human too.

I feel that when we watch a movie, we should simply enjoy it as a form of entertainment instead of comparing every scene with the previous parts. Personally, I truly enjoyed the movie, and for me, all three parts of Drishyam deserve a solid 5/5.

Cinema should be enjoyed with an open mind, not measured only with expectations.


Note: These are completely my personal views. Opinions may differ from person to person. This post is not intended to point at or criticize anyone personally.


Anu Thomas 

No comments:

Post a Comment